2.14.2017

Introducing #EPPwithme and no.1 kit

Welcome to #EPPwithme! 

I am so glad you are joining me on this EPP adventure!  With each kit released, you will you will find a post right here with instructions, tips and a couple tutorials on how to complete your block.  This first month is going to be a little (ok, a lot!) more info since we are just getting started.  I know some of you are very new to English Paper Piecing and I want to make sure you are successful.
Kits are always available for purchase HERE! Each kit includes paper pieces for the block and a color me sheet.  
As with all sewing, there is no right or wrong way as long as you are achieving your end goal and having fun in the process.  My goal for #EPPwithme is to show you how to love EPP and obtain an end result that you are happy with. 
MONTHLY GIVEAWAYS!!  Tag your progress pics on Instagram using #EPPwithme !  Each post is an entry.  On the last day of the month, I'll select a winner (via random.org).
Let's get started!

+ FABRIC PULL +
Quite possibly my favorite part of any project!  Think about what you want your final project to look like. Keep in mind that if you complete all 12 blocks, you will have quilt top!  You can choose a color scheme, a collection or go scrappy.  Since the pieces for each block are somewhat small, this truly is a GREAT scrap buster project!

+ EPP ESSENTIALS +
Check out this Instagram post HERE with a list of some of my favorite EPP tools.

+ PLAN YOUR BLOCK +
In each kit, a color me sheet is provided.  Use this to help plan your block!

+ CUT YOUR FABRIC +
Since the sizes of the pieces used for #EPPwithme are unique, you will want to make your own templates.  I like to use the heavy duty plastic template sheets that can be purchased HERE.
Posted on Instagram is quick tutorial on how to make your own templates.  Click HERE to view.
Some people cut fabric as they go and others (like me!) cut all fabric before starting to sew.
Fussy cutting is SO much fun with EPPing.  We will discuss this more later, but for now, the hexies are a great fussy cutting project!

+ BASTING +
To glue or sew?! The great EPP debate!  Here is a great blog post from Tales of Cloth.  She breaks down the pos/cons of each method and also provides a great tutorial on glue or sew basting.  I personally prefer glue basting and use Elmers Disappearing Purple School Glue sticks.  Biggest tip with glue basting is to not over apply the glue!   In each kit there are a couple of extra paper pieces.  Give each method a practice run and see which one you prefer.

+ SEWING +
For sewing the pieces together, I prefer the invisible flat back stitch.  Two other stitches that can be used are the whip stitch and the ladder stitch.  I prefer the the invisible flat back stitch b/c you cannot see the stitches from the front.  Take a few moments and watch this VIDEO by TheDIYaddict.  Written instructions can be found HERE. Below is an example of the front and back, using the invisible flat back stitch. 
 + no. 1 KIT INSTRUCTIONS +
Hexies are great first EPP project.  The no. 1 kit includes enough hexies (and half hexies) to complete a 13.5" square block.  Working in columns, the first column with have 5 hexies (flat part of hexie is the top).  The second column, from top to bottom will have 1 half hexie, 4 full hexies and then another half hexie.  Repeat these 2 columns until you have 6 total columns.  Also, refer to the color me sheet for an exact representation of what you block will look like.  You do not have to work in columns.  Just be mindful of your layout. I like to work in sections when sewing hexies together.  I find the project easier to manage this way.  

Dang, that was a LOT of info! Please know that I am here to help!  If you have any questions, please either send me an email or a direct message through Instagram (@thatmoderncrafter).  Don't forget to check out my IG feed.  I'll be posting various tips along the way.  

Thank you so much for joing #EPPwith me !  I am really looking forward to seeing your EPP blocks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment